- If I didn’t pre-reserve a copy, can I order one now?
- I reserved a copy, but now I want to buy more copies
- Thanks. It does make a great gift.
- I heard there were updates about the thinking behind the book
- Yes, you can read all of them right here.
- How does shipping work?
- We've set up a process with Shipwire that allows us to ship your book to you from a more local warehouse. It's a lot of planning and effort, but it cuts down the shipping time and the expense dramatically.
We'll send you a note when the book ships, sometime in early December. Alas, we can't currently guarantee that everyone will have their copy before the holidays. We'll keep you posted monthly on our progress.
- Why isn't the book shipped media mail in the US?
- In previous projects, we've used media mail (which is an amazing bargain). Alas, in our experience, the postal service sometimes treats delivery of media mail as an optional exercise, particularly around the holidays. Their delivery promise in terms of timing is vague, and the tracking often fails.
So, this time, we upgraded the shipping, and we think it's the best choice for something this valuable.
- Why is international shipping so expensive?
- Because the book weighs 20 times as much as a normal book. And because there are governments involved. And because it's not 1885, when the German post office was a model of efficiency and a bargain, too.
We spent more than 100 hours setting up the most efficient supply chain we possibly could, but this trips us up. We're really sorry, and we agree with your frustration, but that's the best we could do. Thanks for understanding.
- I'd like to buy a few volumes, but to be delivered in different countries, as gifts. Is there a way to have multiple shipping addresses?
- The best way to do this would be to submit multiple orders. We're a tiny shop so we don't currently have a way to deliver to different addresses within one order. Thanks for understanding.
- Could you give me a ballpark figure of how much it costs to ship to my country?
- You can get an accurate shipping quote by entering your address into the order page. It will then calculate the shipping that you would be charged if you completed the order.
- I don’t have an address yet for shipping because I might be moving or don’t know where I’ll be come December.
- We can only complete the order if there's a shipping address associated with it. If you have a permanent address, such as an office space or friend's house, where you might be able to ship the book, that could be one way around it. If you want to change your address later, drop us a line until the beginning of November.
- Are you at all worried about the carbon footprint of this book?
- We are. That’s why we bought enough carbon credits (trees planted) to more than double the impact this project makes.
- What are the specs for the book:
- More than 800 pages
More than 17 pounds
11 inches by 14 inches
More than 150 color plates, featuring photographer Thomas Hawk
More than 350,000 words. Many with fewer than three syllables.
Only 6,800 copies printed
- Help! I need to talk to someone about my order.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll take care of you.
Have a question we didn't answer? Email email@example.com